In general men doesn’t give attention to prepare their bodies for pregnancy as the women prepare for healthy pregnancy themselves. However this is equally important for men as well. A healthy body and lifestyle care is required to produce healthy sperm as your life style may affect their quality, resultantly they may affect your partner’s chances to become pregnant. Bad life style or habits can severely affect the health of your unborn and growing baby which leads to many complications in future. Females adopt many changes for their pregnancy and it would be quite easier if you both try to adopt changes in your daily life style and habits during the same period of time.
Following are some tips for a healthy pregnancy although these are mainly concerned with the men’s lifestyle however these are also important for your other half as well.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking can really affect the quality and health of your sperms which results infertility in men. It is important to note that to get rid of smoking effects, several months may be required from the day of quitting smoking.
- Reduce or Avoid Alcohol: It has been observed that alcohol may damage your sperms before the conception which may lead to infertility problems; therefore it is advisable to avoid alcohol or at least reduce the intake quantity. Read more about pregnancy and alcohol here.
- Diet and Exercise: Healthy diet and exercise is the basic requirement of a healthy pregnancy. A good balance pregnancy diet with proper and daily exercise increases your chance of conceiving. To follow a healthy program or pregnancy exercise which includes diet and exercise is quite easier if both partners try to follow this simultaneously.
- Quit Recreational Drugs: Drugs can be a disaster for your fertility. Especially recreational drug like marijuana which interferes in the normal sperm production in men and destroy the healthy sperms which are the basic requirement of fertility. On the other hand harder drugs like cocaine can damage the chromosomes in sperm which leads to birth abnormalities. Therefore it is very strongly recommended to avoid all types of recreational drugs for a healthy pregnancy.
- Medical and Genetic History: It is very important that you should know your medical and genetic history and discuss this with your health practitioner at the time of conception. This will greatly help your doctor for advising you about the pregnancy care.
- Review Prescribe Medications: It has been observed that some medicines affect the fertility. Therefore if you are taking some medicines before the pregnancy than its better to discuss these with your health practitioner so that he can review your medicines and may suggest you some alternatives for a healthy pregnancy.
By adhering to the above healthy pregnancy guidelines you will definitely increase chances of your pregnancy and also get the advantages of a healthy life.